What to do when you wake up at half past 4 in the morning and simply can’t seem to get back to sleep?
Well, I figured I could lay around and fidget till 7 and get really upset about my inability to sleep…
or I could just jump out of bed and make the best of it!
Things you get to do before breakfast when you wake up at 4.30am:
- get your yoga flow on in an elaborate 5 pm yoga session
- drink a nice cuppa tea while blogging
(morning hours really are wonderful for blogging!)
- Start on some to do and to read lists
- get some quality time with your favourite fur person 🙂
- a cup of soy or almond milk
- a bit of spinach
- one ripe banana ( bonus points for a frozen one)
- a few dashes of cinnamon
- a couple of spoonfuls of oats (you can leave this out, but when I’m having just the monster for breakfast I like it to have a bit of consistency and it helps to keep me full a bit longer)
- optional: a few strawberries, half of a kiwifruit,.. any fruit you like actually
- Put everything together in your blender and blend away.
To make things extra fancy you can always have your smoothie in a bowl and add some fun toppings.
Good thing some of the blackberries of yesterday’s quest got confiscated for ‘breakfast or baking purposes’ 🙂
- Measure out your quinoa (and make sure you rinse it before you cook it, otherwise it might have a bit of a ‘funky’ taste to it)
I used 4 tablespoons
- To get the quinoa cooking, boil it in double the amount of liquid, in this case that would be 8 tablespoons of soy milk (I always use soy milk, but you can also use a half and half mixture of milk and water or just water)
- Get your liquid to a boil, add the quinoa and lower the fire till it’s just a simmer. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes for the quinoa to absorb all the liquid, you might want to stir a few times during the process
- While the quinoa is cooking you’ve got some time to prepare a ‘berry compote’
- I used some blackberries, some cranberries my mum stored in the freezer to make jelly and some home made strawberry- rhubarb jelly. Mix together and heat (on the stove top or if you’re lazy like me and already proud that one pot’s simmering on the stove, put it in the microwave) until you get the desired consistency
- Get your fancy bowls out, get that quinoa in there and top with your compote, feel free to add some more fruits to it, some nuts couldn’t hurt either 😉